Friday, June 3, 2011

Potty training week 2

We seemed to hit a brick wall with potty training this week.  It was also a very busy week, I drove to Kansas to help a friend who is moving pack, plus with allergies and the heat and whatnot...well, it was simply nuts.  We weren't quite as consistent as we should've been, honestly, and Sammy seemed to prefer being a "baby," showing signs of increased whininess, throwing more fits, and demanding diapers.


I was talking to a friend about it today and she suggested that I just tell Sam that he isn't a baby anymore and that he needs to start using the potty like a big boy, instead of coaxing him and bribing him, I take away the choice and just tell him what my expectations are.  So, I did, and we had an amazing turn around today.  He's been outside playing in the baby pool off and on most of the afternoon, but in underwear when he's inside, and voluntarily has gone in the potty twice, with NO accidents!  He even held it in the pool and went as soon as he got in the house, no questions asked, no bribing, I don't even think I asked if he needed to go!  I'm pretty excited.


So, here's Sammy in the pool.  Blowing bubbles.  In his underwear (I've got a bazillion pairs, do I really need to switch him to trunks in our very isolated backyard?  I think not).




Here's a future blackmail picture, Sammy showing off his dinosaur undies.  Aren't they cute?  I got 'em at H&M when he was 12 months old.  I like to plan ahead, I had high hopes that I would be one of those supermoms who had their kid potty trained at 18 months old.  Ah, naivete.




It's all gotta be uphill from now on.  Right?

2 comments: