Thursday, February 7, 2013

An Announcement

Since 90% of my 10 readers are also friends of mine on facebook, this is going to come as no huge shock, but here it goes: our household size is about to go from just under the national average to just above it.  Exciting, right?  We're excited.

It's kind of hard planning for a third kid.  The other two were so close together and so chaotic it feels more like I've only had one pregnancy that lasted 23 months and resulted in Irish twins.  I had a lot of hand-me-downs, and like most brand new moms, a large amount of have-to-have baby gear.  This time, though, I sort of have an idea of what gear I actually use (very little), so there's much less planning.  Before, nine months didn't seem long enough to get everything ready for the kid, now, I'm pretty sure I could have everything I need in one trip to Target.

If any of you are on the fence about increasing your family size, I gotta say, I suggest it.  Yeah, pregnancy still isn't fun, and I'm sure birth won't be fun and the sleepless nights won't be fun, but already this baby is less stressful than the other two were.  I've stopped reading mommy blogs totally, not because I hate them, just because I no longer feel like I need mommy validation.  Is that weird...that the more kids I have, the less freaked out I am about screwing them up?  Probably, but that's okay.  I think it's because now I have enough perspective to see how much I've already screwed up, and my kids are still happy, generally healthy, and on their way to being productive members of society.

Not to say there aren't stressors in my life.  I'm pretty dang freaked out about living here in Wyoming so far from all my family and friends.  I wish I lived in a place where I knew some people well enough to get a casserole or three delivered after the baby comes.  My husband's job here isn't very stable anyway, he gets paid pretty well and he loves his work, but the company he works for could move him at any time to any part of the country.  Having moved both 8 months pregnant (with Sam) and 1 week after giving birth (with Jubilee), the prospect of doing it again does not sound pleasant at all.

Anyway, a favor.  If you think about it, send up a few prayers for us.  Yes, stability, a house and a few friends would be awesome, but mostly I think we just need peace that it's all going to work out, and we need some perspective.  Even if we have to move within a month before or after giving birth, it's not the end of the world, we've done it twice already.  Even if we have to order pizza for a week after the baby comes, we can do that.  It's going to be okay, I know that in my head, I just wish I knew it in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Aww Carly I love this post. The thought of increasing our family is scary to me too...for all of the reasons you mentioned. Have faith my friend...God's got your back and he has a plan for you and this baby! Congratulations and prayers being sent up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congragts and I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes but I agree with Aprille God's with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete